Sunday 30 March 2014

Striped Monkeys

For these monkeys I followed the pattern for the Striped Monkey in the book by Sue Havens called "Make Your Own Toys".

I used a sweater that was given to me from a colleague, scrap flannel and men’s dress shirts. I tried to use fabrics that had a striped pattern.

Body – Knitted sweater (for one I used fleece)
Head – Flannel
Ears, Arms and Tail – Men’s dress shirts, flannel and cotton
Face - Cotton
Patches – Flannel, fleece, cotton and men’s dress shirts
Eye Patch – White felt
Eyes - Black or dark blue buttons
Mouth and Nose – Embroidery thread

I used the sewing machine to stich the ears, arms and head. It is better to sew the knitted materials by hand, which I did for the body. I sewed the face on using a zigzag stitch and attached the ears while sewing the head.

I stuffed the moneys with stuffing an old pillow and some polyester batting.


These monkeys were a great way to use up old clothes. The patches and the tail give the moneys a finishing touch.







No comments:

Post a Comment