Saturday 19 July 2014

Colourful Wreath with Little Balls of Fabric

While making my first rag quilt, I kept all the of the scraps. I didn't want to throw away any leftover fabric just in case I could use them for a future project. I searched online for some ideas and I saw you could make little balls of fabric using your scraps. I had some embroidery thread I wanted to use up so I decided to go with making some fabric balls.

I rolled up my flannel scraps into balls about an inch in diameter. I inserted my needle just under where the fabric ended to hide the knot and started wrapping the thread around the ball by weaving through the fabric. Once I had wrapped enough thread around the ball, I inserted the needle completely through the ball to the other side and the stitched a couple back stitches to secure the thread.

As I was making these balls, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. I could make a necklace or a mobile, or just display them in a glass vase. I kept the little balls for a few years and finally I decided to make a wreath.

When my husband and I were renovating our kitchen, I asked our wonderful handyman to cut out a few circles from plywood that I could use as a frame for a wreath. I used one for this wreath. 

I cut out long strips of flannel and washed the strips to give them a ragged effect. I placed a layer of batting on the front side of the frame and then wrapped the frame with the fabric strips. I pinned the flower to the wreath and then I then glued all the balls onto the wreath using hot glue. Once I finished securing all of the balls, I glued the knitted flower. I had tried knitting a few flowers for fun and this one matched so I decided to use it. The light pink flower on top of the knitted flower is actually a hair piece, but I had bought it to use as a decoration in a wreath one day. Since it had a clip, I just clipped it to the knitted flower. I think the two flowers make a pretty combination and match perfectly with the fabric balls.













No comments:

Post a Comment